For more information please call 317-338-3582
Visiting a hospital can be an overwhelming experience for children and their families. The Child Life Program at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent works to reduce the stress and anxiety that may be associated with the health care experience by meeting the developmental, psychosocial, and emotional needs of patients and families.
Child Life Specialists are an integral part of the healthcare team and contribute to each patient’s care to achieve the following goals:
- Minimize fear and stress experienced by children, adolescents, and families throughout their hospital experiences
- Support the patient’s emotional, social, and cognitive growth in the context of family,culture, and developmental stage
- Encourage developmentally appropriate therapeutic activities and normalization of the hospital environment
- Encourage understanding by preparing children for medical procedures and diagnoses using developmentally specific language and teaching tools
- Provide support during and after procedures or stressful events by teaching coping skills and using various relaxation techniques
- Provide emotional support for families and siblings who may be affected by a diagnosis, illness, trauma, or grief
Child Life specialists work with patients throughout the hospital, including inpatient units, radiology, outpatient surgery, and emergency medicine.
If you have any questions regarding Child Life services at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent, please contact email@example.com
Child Life Services
Ways to Give
I want to…