Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital
Child Life Department Practicum Program Information
The Child Life Program at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital is pleased to offer a summer Child Life Practicum for students wishing to pursue a career in the Child Life profession. The Practicum Program is designed to provide an introduction to Child Life through observations and project completions.
The practicum will be a 12-week program consisting of two 5 week rotations as well as a week for orientation and an elective week.
The practicum will allow the student opportunities to:
- Learn child life assessments, theories, play interventions and rapport building
- Participate in journaling, in-services, and assigned readings
- Observe and begin to engage in independent play and support
Please be advised that practicum hours cannot be used to satisfy the required internship hours to sit for the Child Life Certification exam.
In order to be considered for this practicum, you must:
- Be entering your junior or senior year of college, or have graduated with at least a Bachelor’s (4-year) degree
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Complete a minimum of 25 hours of hospital volunteer experience with children prior to application
Mail your completed application materials in one envelope. The complete application packet must be postmarked by February 15th.
Upon review of your application, you will be notified of your selection status, which may include scheduling an interview. An on-site interview is preferred if you live within 100 miles of Indianapolis, IN. A phone interview can be arranged if you live outside the 100 mile radius or are unable to attend an on-site interview.
If you are accepted as a practicum student and are affiliated with a college or university, please note that prior to the start of your practicum, an affiliation agreement must be established between Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent and your school. If a contract is failed to be negotiated, the practicum placement becomes void.
This is an unpaid practicum. Please also be advised that required clearances, housing, and transportation are the responsibility of the student.
Child Life Services
Ways to Give
I want to…