For more information, call 317-338-3153
The Child Protection Team is available to every health care provider at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital and St.Vincent who is concerned about a suspected injury to a child due to physical, sexual or psychological abuse or neglect from maltreatment.
As on onsite team at PMCH we evaluate these children, but we are not Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS).
If you suspect abuse or neglect call DCS/ Indiana Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-800-5556
The PMCH Child Protection Team is committed to improving the well-being of children (newborn to age 18) and it starts when we receive a referral from a physician for a patient. A thorough medical evaluation and interview is the first step. At all times we respect the child’s “Bill of Rights,” and will be their advocate.
We also seek to prevent unnecessary injury and fatalities from abuse and neglect — which unfortunately are a reality in our communities, with proactive communication and education about these topics.
In these cases, we take the lead on coordinating care and communicating with the Pediatric specialists at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital as medical and mental health needs are indicated.
- Evaluate the child and coordinate referrals to appropriate Pediatric services
- Be an advocate for the health and safety of the child
- Provide follow-up in the Child Protection Clinic to solidify the diagnosis and treatment plan.
- See patients in the ER as called.
- Share expert consultation to PMCH staff and primary care providers about pertinent protective issues for this patient
- Communicate findings as law allows and as requested, provide expert testimony in legal proceedings.
Connecting With the Needs in the Community
- Educating primary care providers about child abuse topics
- No Hit Zone program
- Commit to Kids (child abuse prevention initiatives for schools and coaches)
To learn more about the Commit to Kids initiative, send a request by clicking here.
I want to…