To make an appointment in Indianapolis or Fishers
Your kidneys filter waste, toxins and extra water out of your blood and make urine. Your kidneys also provide many other important functions such as: help control blood pressure, help stimulate the production of red blood cells to prevent anemia and help maintain a healthy level of active vitamin D.
The Pediatric Nephrology team at PMCH is dedicated to providing expert clinical care to infants, children and adolescents with a wide variety of acute and chronic kidney diseases. Our specialists focus on family-centered care with many layers for support and comprehensive management approach.
Our pediatric nephrology team partners with the St Vincent Kidney Transplantation program which prides itself on rapid assessment and listing for transplant.
Conditions We Treat
- Hypertension, to learn more click here.
- Congenital kidney disease (present at birth) – Our approach includes a consultation visit at the time of recognition of the problem whether that happens after birth or if identified before birth. A prenatalconsultation visit can be arranged and if need be can be coordinated with other specialists such as the pediatric urology team. Genetic counseling can also be arranged. .
- Metabolic kidney diseases such as kidney stones and renal tubular acidosis
- Nephrotic syndrome Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Glomerulonephritis, acute and chronic inflammation of the kidney tissue caused by immune response
- Abnormal urine findings such as blood in the urine and protein in the urine
- Electrolyte abnormalities due to kidney disease such as low sodium and low potassium
- Kidney transplant care
Pediatric Nephrology Services offered at PMCH
- Outpatient and inpatient consultation
- Onsite in clinic urine testing and onsite lab testing
- Kidney biopsy (ultrasound or CT guided)
- 24 hour Ambulatory blood pressure monitor
- Dialysis procedures
- Continuous veno-venous hemofiltration
- Intermittent hemodialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Therapeutic plasma exchange and apheresis procedures
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Clinic
A primary goal for the treatment of children with CKD is to slow the progression of the disease. Recent studies have demonstrated the long term outcome for children with CKD correlates with the quality of pre-dialysis or pre-transplant care and that is best provided by a multi-disciplinary clinic.
The multidisciplinary clinic integrates the care of a pediatric nephrologist with the services of other staff such as dietitian, clinical pharmacists and social worker. When indicated, dialysis and transplant teams are involved.
Our physicians and associates impart education tools and resources at every visit to empower our families so that they can take charge and better cope and manage these conditions. Our staff balances medical management with the individual emotional needs of the child and family to improve the quality of life and minimize time spent at the hospital or doctor’s office.
I want to…