For information call 317-338-8857
What are abdominal tumors?
Abdominal tumors are masses within certain organs in the abdomen.
What are the different types of tumors?
- Neuroblastoma – derived from neural crest tissue in the abdomen – usually adrenal glands ad paraspinal sympathetic ganglia
- Wilm’s tumor – derived from the kidney
- Hepatoblastoma – derived from the liver
How are they diagnosed?
- Complete history and physical exam
- Radiographic imaging and a comprehensive consultation process with some the world’s expert leaders in childhood cancer
Typically, a large unresectable mass may need a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis, along with a central venous catheter to initiate and deliver chemotherapy to shrink the tumor, to allow for a safer resection. Some tumors which are smaller and amenable to resection may have a resection with a central venous catheter for chemotherapy.
What is the expected outcome?
Excellent. We have a comprehensive and expert group of childhood cancer specialists who follow patients with extreme detail and dedication.
Pediatric General Surgery
I want to…